Washington D.C. Family Law Attorney Provides Comprehensive Legal Services
Family lawyer protects your rights and advances your goals for the future
Family law issues affect the very core of your life. They are intensely personal, impacting you emotionally and financially. Therefore, it is important for you to hire an attorney who will listen to your needs and seek creative solutions to your unique concerns. At the law office of Joel W. Anders, we work diligently to reach lasting, effective solutions to family law matters. With more than 40 years of legal experience, we offer compassionate and practical guidance to clients from all walks of life in Washington, D.C. and the nearby Maryland communities.
Experienced family law attorney capably manages your legal concerns
Our office provides a variety of family law services, including:
- Adoption — We assist prospective parents with a range of adoption processes, making sure all legal requirements are met.
- Divorce — In both simple and complex breakups, our firm protects the rights of spouses in all aspects of the divorce process, including dealing with issues such as property division and alimony.
- Issues involving children — Whether child custody and child support issues are being addressed as part of a divorce or between unmarried parents, we can help.
- Domestic violence — Any domestic assault or abuse allegations can affect family law matters, such as child custody and divorce.
- Paternity — Establishing the proper paternity of a child gives fathers the ability to secure appropriate visitation rights and triggers child support responsibilities.
- Modifications — When a previously created court order needs to be changed, such as one that dictates child custody or support, we can help you seek a modification of that order.
- Marital agreements — We negotiate, draft, and review prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. We also assess the validity of marital agreements when they become an issue in divorce proceedings.
We understand how difficult it can be to deal with the changing structure of a family. The emotional stress can often cloud judgment. As your legal advocates, we will provide a steady hand, helping you make sound decisions that will shape not only your future, but also that of your family.
Putting our experience to work for you
Our founding attorney, Joel W. Anders, strives to reach resolutions in the most cost-effective method available. With family law matters, it is often possible to reach a negotiated solution or to resolve matters through mediation. In fact, courts will often order mediation before allowing a case to proceed to trial. When parties are reasonable and can put aside past resentments to concentrate on their future, and especially the future wellbeing of their children, mediation has a strong chance to be successful.
However, not every family law dispute can be settled amicably. If a party refuses to be reasonable, transparent and honest, litigation might become necessary. When a case proceeds to trial, you have powers of discovery. Our firm can subpoena documents, file interrogatories, and depose parties and witnesses. Therefore, we can build a powerful case despite the other party’s lack of cooperation.
Drawing on more than 40 years of family law litigation, Mr. Anders is able to use discovery and other procedural tools to strengthen your case. This type of strong advocacy often compels the other party to accept a fair settlement. However, if the case must proceed to trial, you can have confidence in our legal team’s ability to present a compelling case that upholds your rights and advances your interests.
Contact a reputable DC metro family law attorney for a free consultation
Joel W. Anders, P.C. has a solid reputation based on more than four decades of family law service to clients in the Washington, DC area. To discuss how we can help with your legal problem, contact us online or call our office at 202-466-4334. We have offices convenient via Metro service in Washington D.C. and Bethesda, Maryland.