Accommodating Changes To Orders And Agreements

After your divorce becomes final, your circumstances may change. For example, you could lose your job or be assigned reduced hours, rendering you unable to meet the obligations specified in your divorce decree. In the event of a significant change, you may be eligible to seek a post-decree modification.

At the law office of Joel W. Anders, P.C., we work with clients hoping to modify child custody, child support, visitation and spousal support orders. We have 40 years of legal experience representing individuals across a wide range of family law matters. Recognizing that every person's situation is unique, we will take the time to listen to your circumstances and work to find a creative resolution to your problem.

When Is A Modification Possible?

Court orders may be modified based on a material change of circumstances, including:

  • Job relocation
  • Job loss
  • A child moving away
  • Serious illness

However, not all orders are subject to modification. Some agreements include language barring post-decree modifications. To determine if you are eligible for a custody change, visitation shift or other support modifications, contact our office for a free initial consultation. Only a skilled lawyer can properly interpret the law as it applies in your specific situation.

Serving Clients in Washington, D.C. And Nearby Maryland Communities

When possible, it is best to seek an amicable post-decree modification that meets the needs of all parties involved. This way, you have more flexibility. However, it is important that you obtain court approval for any changes. This approval can protect you in case of problems down the road.

Contact Our Skilled Attorney

If your circumstances have changed significantly since your divorce was finalized, you may be allowed to petition the court for a change in support or custody. Contact us online or call our office at 202-644-9609 to schedule a free initial consultation.